Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lifestyle Tip: Mental Attitudes for Long Commutes

One of my delightful readers sent me an email with a question regarding the yuppie lifestyle. If you have any questions or are looking for lifestyle tips, please drop me a note at theyuppielifestyle@gmail.com.

How does the new yuppie deal with a commute? Is there a special mental attitude or tools one can use to cope? |Signed| Aspiring Yuppie With a Grueling Commute
A frustrating commute can certainly affect quality of life. Before I moved to San Francisco, I commuted on a daily basis between Millbrae and Palo Alto. While that commute was relatively manageable, I very badly wanted to live in SF, and doing so would add an additional 20 minutes (on a decent day) to my commute. So, I negotiated with my boss to be able to work from home as often as possible. I know this isn't a possibility for everyone, but this day in age where so many different kinds of jobs can be done remotely, if most of your job consists of you working at a computer anyway it may be worth a shot. (Nick works in an industry that is wholly different from mine, yet he and many of his colleagues have days where they telecommute, too.) Perhaps you can convince your boss to give it a try for a month or so, adding to your argument the advantages of reducing your carbon footprint. During your trial period, make sure you crank up the volume on your email alert sound and respond to your work emails as efficiently as possible to prove you are still easily accessible and on-task at a distance.

If working remotely even one or two days per week is not an option, having the right mental attitude is key. Think of it as a chance to kill two birds with one stone. Bluetooth integration or a hands-free device so you can catch up with old friends over the phone while you are on the road is a good way of making the most of your time. Lately, I have been using my time on the road to learn some French phrases in preparation for my trip to France; I borrowed a language CD from my local public library and put all the MP3s on my iPod. I also am that person you may see totally rocking out to some music (this song) at the wheel. Focusing on staying Zen, instead of on traffic jams, might give you opportunity to brainstorm some good ideas for couplets or meals you want to try preparing.

Oh, and coffee also helps.

| Art Credit: Keep Calm Shop |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...